Friday, November 2, 2007

iHCPL #18: Social Networking i.e. Stalkerweb

As the title of my post probably tells you, I am not a big fan of "Social Networking" sites like MySpace. Facebook is not quite as offensive, since you can make your page exclusively private and only allow people you have approved to view it. But still, I don't like them. I realize I am one of the few people who don't like online social networking; and I know I sound kind of paranoid about them. I just don't want people all over the world (whether I know them or not) knowing everything about me. I have friends who have put all kinds of information about themselves online, including pictures etc. Why would you do that? Maybe I value my privacy more than other people. If I want someone to see my pictures, I'll show them myself. I don't want everyone and their mother to see them.
Perhaps if I moved overseas and needed a way to stay in touch with friends from home I would feel differently. But as it stands now, I keep in touch with people I want to keep in touch with. I don't want some of the people I went to high school or college with to "drop a line" out of the blue. Part of what I enjoy about the Internet is the anonymity it provides. Social Networking sites infringe on that anonymity.

No comments: